Meeting 06/17, 28th March 2017

Present: Cllrs Laity, Mrs. Mitchell, Eddy, Mrs. Reynolds, Read, Britten, Trudgen, Row and Mrs. Hosking Apologies: Cllrs Vincent & Scrase and Mrs. Sue Nicholas C Visitors: None Public Speaking. None Minutes of the Meeting held on 14th March 2017 085 The Minutes having been circulated previously it was proposed by Cllr Row and seconded Cllr […]

Present: Cllrs Laity, Mrs. Mitchell, Eddy, Mrs. Reynolds, Read, Britten, Trudgen, Row and Mrs. Hosking

Apologies: Cllrs Vincent & Scrase and Mrs. Sue Nicholas C

Visitors: None

Public Speaking. None

Minutes of the Meeting held on 14th March 2017

085 The Minutes having been circulated previously it was proposed by Cllr Row and seconded Cllr Hosking that the minutes were deemed to be a true and correct record, carried unanimously.

Matters arising from previous Minutes

086 Minutes 071, 052 and 047d. (Folly Field playground) The clerk updated the Council on Helston Town Council’s response to his question about their bench supplier (which had previously been circulated) and on his having asked Lord St. Levan as to availability to open the playground.

Cllr Read updated the Council on the fact that he and Mr. Glover had inspected the works with Mr. Glover outlining his concerns (which Cllr Read appreciates). He advised that RoSPA’s inspector is going round tomorrow (29th March) and so these matters will be considered by him. It is clear there are differences of opinion between Mr. Glover and HAGS which, it is to be hoped, the RoSPA inspector will settle.

Cllr Read also suggested deferring ordering the top-rails for the swings until after the RoSPA inspection.

Cllr Hosking reported that the sign had been taken to the depot at Newtown, but had now been scrapped.

087. Minute 078. (Drysack Lane). Cllr Mitchell reported that the surface has now been tarmacked but the edges haven’t been done, but some soil has been seeded. She said, “it will do.”.

088 Minute 080. Cllr Eddy enquired if there had been a response from the Estate to the enquiry regarding the Gwelva. The clerk said that there hadn’t been.

089 Minute 082. (Clerk’s Office). Cllr Laity reported that he had not yet been able to source the projector.

090 Cllr Hosking mentioned the post-box at West End, by Folneth. This appears to have been removed and the collection times at the post-box in Market Place changed. The clerk was instructed to write to the Post Office to find out why this had been done

Councillors Reports:

Report by Chair of Footpath, Cemetery and Allotments sub-committee.

091. Cllr Mitchell reported that (a) She had had the LMP and SWCP paperwork for the coming year. The LMP payment was the same but the SWCP payment had increased by £40.00 per kilometre (b) the paving outside the toilets has been completed and looks good. As it looks rather Spartan, she wondered whether the Council would consider putting a couple of planters along the fence to brighten the area. The Council agreed that this would be a good idea and Cllrs Mitchell and Hosking will investigate further, (c) She reported that CORMAC has finished the repair work on the Roman Bridge. It looks excellent and the clerk was instructed to write to CORMAC to congratulate them (d) with regard to the flower bed at the Folly Field, Mr Vasey used to deal with this a couple of times a year, but since he moved away last year, it hasn’t been touched. It now needs more attention that one person can give it. The Council asked the clerk to write to CORMAC solutions to enquire how much they would charge for dealing with it.

Other Councillors’ reports

092. Cllr Row mentioned that around Christmas time the Council discussed putting a rope light around the Town Hall. As the scaffolding is up at the moment, he wondered if this would be a good time to put up this light. It was agreed that it was, and Cllrs Eddy and Trudgen will see to it. 

Planning

093 Applications for planning permission

 Before the following application was considered, Cllr Read declared an interest and left the room, not returning until it had been considered.

PA17/02075. Extension to the rear of the property. 8 Godolphin Terrace. Mr. David Edmonds. Before the Council discussed the application, the clerk read out the 2 letters and 1 e-mail from objectors. Cllr Row then proposed that the application be refused on the grounds that it represented overdevelopment of the site and because it agreed with the objectors’ comments. This was seconded by Cllr Mitchell and carried by 7 votes in favour with 1 vote against.

Any others received by the time of the meeting on 28th March 2017. None

It was noted that the following planning permissions had been granted:

PA17/00658. & Mrs. Woodhead. Star House, 2 Market Place. Construction of replacement rear dormer and balcony, replacement of rear roof cover for Spanish slate and associated works.

PA16/10048. Mr Chapman. 3 Turnpike Road. Variation of condition 3 of PA15/04071 to change the proposed drawings to include the retention and completion of a new area of decking around the garden room

PA17/00668 (and, for Listed Building consent) PA17/00669. Mr. Ramon van de Velde. Godolphin Arms. Partial removal of an archway to allow for the installation of new doors and associated works including; internal excavations and alterations, removal of external steps, and the blocking in of a previous doorway.

It was noted that no planning applications had been refused

Correspondence

 094 The clerk reported that the following had been received:-

  • (a) Letter (undated) from Mr. E. Hall regarding the Dollan. The clerk, having previously circulated a brief outlining the Council’s leasehold ownership of the Dollan, and the covenants contained in the Lease, it was proposed by Cllr Row that the clerk be instructed to write to Mr. Hall telling him that the Council was unable to agree to his request because of the restrictions contained in the Lease. This was seconded by Cllr Reynolds and carried by 8 votes in favour with Cllr Eddy voting against the proposition and specifically requesting that this be minuted.
  • (b) E-mail from Cllr Nicholas regarding Pre-app relating to Akron. The Council instructed the clerk to write to Cllr Nicholas asking her to object to the removal of the public right of way

Clerks Report

095 The clerk reported that Mrs. Mary Tudor had e-mailed him to update the Council on the situation regarding the Memorial Garden wall. She had spoken to Mr. M. Laity who said the work on the wall would start after he had finished his current job, probably during the course of the current week.

Financial and Confidential matters

 096 Receive Profit and Loss account, Bank Reconciliation Statement, Prior Year Report and Budget Variance report for February 2017. These having been previously circulated were noted.

097. Letter from Marazion Town Trust. The contents of this were noted.

098. Election 2017. The Clerk raised this for consideration. He will circulate a draft agenda, so that the matter can be more fully discussed at the next meeting.

099 Receipts and Payments

Receipts

  • F. I. J. Nicholas (garage rent) £50.00
  • O. Mock (hardstanding rent due from last year) £ 75.00
  • Long Rock Memorials (Betty Leach’s inscription) £17.00
  • Marazion Chamber of Commerce (donation towards cost of playground refurbishment) £1,000.00

Approve the payments listed on the payments schedule

THE SCHEDULE

  • Marazion Town Trust (1/2 year’s museum and chamber rent) £1,750.00
  • South West Water Ltd (Water and sewerage, Folly Field 31.01.17 to 27.02.17) £174.27
  • St. Aubyn Estates (allotment rents) £80.00
  • Marazion School (s.137 payment. Minute 072) £50.00
  • Complete Office Solutions UK Ltd (black toner cartridge) £78.00
  • A B Paving (paving at the Folly Field toilets) £1,860.00
  • James D. Jacoby (to reimburse 100 x 1st class & 100 x 2nd class stamps) £119.00
  • EDF (electricity direct debits) £137.00
  • BT Group Plc (Phone bill by Direct Debit) £202.04
  • South West Water (Maypole Garden by direct debit) £37.54

It was proposed Cllr Row and seconded Cllr Trudgen that the payments be paid, carried unanimously. It was also agreed that the clerk should write to the Chamber of Commerce to thank it for the generous donation to the cost of refurbishing the playground which, it was reported, the Chamber would like to go on furniture

100 There being no further business the Mayor closed the meeting at 20.39 hours.

 Town Mayor