Meeting 16/17 26th September 2017

Present: Cllrs Laity, Nicholas, Clayton, Collins, Mrs. Hosking, Read, Mrs. Reynolds and Vincent Apologies: Cllrs Trudgen, Britten & Mrs. Edmonds and Mrs. Sue Nicholas CC Visitors: None Public Speaking: None  Minutes of the Meeting held on 12th September 2017 258 The Minutes having been circulated previously it was proposed by Cllr Laity and seconded Cllr Vincent that […]
  • Present: Cllrs Laity, Nicholas, Clayton, Collins, Mrs. Hosking, Read, Mrs. Reynolds and Vincent
  • Apologies: Cllrs Trudgen, Britten & Mrs. Edmonds and Mrs. Sue Nicholas CC
  • Visitors: None
  • Public Speaking: None

 Minutes of the Meeting held on 12th September 2017

258 The Minutes having been circulated previously it was proposed by Cllr Laity and seconded Cllr Vincent that the minutes were deemed to be a true and correct record, carried unanimously.

Matters arising from previous Minutes

259 Minute 240(a). (Gwallon Lane playground). The Council agreed to ask Mr. Glover to quote for painting the equipment but on the basis that he advises the Council if there is any piece of equipment that he feels is at the end of its useful life

260. Minute 251. (Memorial Garden Wall). Cllr Laity reported that he and the clerk had inspected the Memorial Garden Wall and that the clerk had e-mailed Mrs. Tudor about spraying it.

261 Minutes (various). Cllr Read raised the question of further consideration of water usage at the Folly Field toilets and the possibility of taking storm water out of the mains drainage system. Cllr Vincent also wanted to consider the matter of Water Capture. It was agreed that, at Cllr Laity’s suggestion, these things could be considered by the Toilets’ Subcommittee. The clerk was asked to organise a meeting.

262. Minute 254h. Cllr Vincent reported that he has both e-mailed and texted Treewise for a fresh quote for the work at the Memorial Garden, but that no response had been received yet. The clerk confirmed that he hadn’t received a quote yet either.

Councillors Reports:

263. Cllr Laity reported on the following:

  • He had attended the West Penwith Community Network Panel meeting on 21st Cllr Sue Nicholas CC had been elected its chairman. Cornwall Council was considering devolving certain further responsibilities and decision-making powers to Community Network panels.
  • He had spoken to James Hardy about Emergency Planning. Mr. Hardy has a template he can provide and intimated that there may be a certain amount of funding available for the purchase of small items.
  • He had spoken to Mr. van de Velde, the CEO of St. Aubyn Estates, and the Estate will provide access to the Mount’s Emergency Plan.
  • The adoption of the telephone kiosk at West End. He has been in touch with a charity (Community Heartbeat Trust) which has already adopted this kiosk. The Town Council can adopt it from them for £1.00 and they will advise and help with the provision of a defibrillator and paint for the box. Cllr Laity will e-mail a link to their website for the clerk to circulate. Cllr Laity also agreed to make enquiries as to whether the work could be done more quickly if the Trust does all the work, with the Town Council paying for the work, and for future maintenance.

264. Cllr Hosking highlighted the state of the seat by the Old Surgery. The planks are rotten and need to be replaced. It was also felt that the seats at the Folly Field need some attention. At Cllr Reynolds suggestion it was proposed by Cllr Vincent, seconded by Cllr Read, that Mr. Glover be asked to deal with these benches over the winter. Carried unanimously

Planning

265 Applications for planning permission

Before the following applications were considered, Cllr Read declared an interest and left the room, returning only after both had been decided

PA17/08611. Non-material amendment in respect of approval PA16/05448. Amendment sought – use grey galvanized metal uprights for Juliet Balconies. 19 Godolphin Terrace. Mrs. Linda Packer. It was proposed by Cllr Clayton, seconded by Cllr Hosking and carried unanimously, that the application be supported

PA17/08767. Erection of a conservatory to the rear. Avonmor, Wheal an Wens. Mr. A. Wilson. It was proposed by Cllr Vincent, seconded by Cllr Nicholas and carried unanimously, that the application be supported.

It was noted that the following planning permissions had been granted:

PA17/08326. Dr. Neil Walden. Spindrift Cottage, East Cliff Lane. Reduce top of canopy by 6 ft. [Decided not to make a TPO]

PA17/07400. Ms T. Harcourt. Bramble Cottage, Back Lane. Proposed garden room extension, reduction of first floor extensions as approved under PA15/00430 and formation of new dormer, roof lights and internal re-modelling works

And that the following planning application had been refused:

PA17/06654. Ms Sally Cattran. Derelict Cottage on land adjacent to Rose Cottage, North Street. Replacement of derelict Cottage with new dwelling and separate garage

Correspondence

266 The clerk reported that the following had been received:-

  • Letter of 11th September from Mr. Wayne Fisher. The clerk read out Mr. Fisher’s letter and approved the reply that he had drafted and which he also read out.
  • Letter of 19th September from Madeleine Dicker. Whilst sympathetic to the request, the Council instructed the clerk to reply in terms that the Council would not agree to the request as it would set a precedent, making it harder to refuse future requests by others and was also not allowed under the terms of the Lease under which the Council held the Folly Field. The Council suggested she liaise with the Carnival Committee.
  • Receive and approve Vaughan Glover’s Folly Field and Gwallon Lane playground reports for September. These, having been previously circulated, were noted and approved. The clerk was asked to enquire of South West Play and South West Metal Works as to the swing seats for the Folly Field playground and the gate at the Folly Field toilets.
  • Two letters from the Marazion Decorative Lights Committee, both dated 15th September. These, having been previously circulated, were noted. The Council confirmed that the Decorative Lights could have the access they requested. Cllr Vincent confirmed that the Committee had Public Liability and Events Insurance.
  • E-mail from Just Events Ltd. The Council agreed that access could be had on the dates requested and Cllr Laity agreed to deal with giving them access to the electricity box.

Clerks Report

267 The clerk reported on the following.

Replacement of printer and photocopier. The papers produced by 1st Office Equipment Ltd having been previously circulated, along with the clerk’s memorandum, the Council decided that, after discussion, it would keep the existing equipment and not take up the suggestions of 1st Office Equipment.

Financial and Confidential matters

268 Receive Profit and Loss account, Bank Reconciliation Statement, Prior Year Report and Budget Variance report for August 2017. These having been previously circulated were noted.

269. Tenders. Cllr Vincent briefed the Council on the meeting he had had with the clerk that morning, and of the discussions he and Cllr Reynolds had had. In brief, the terms of the existing tenders were adequate, although they recommended adding a few extra cuts for the cemetery and the Folly Field. The clerk said he would circulate the final tenders before they were sent out and advertised.

270 Receipts and Payments

Receipts

  • St. Aubyn Estates (Car park and Beach Box rents)                                                     £12,175.00
  • F. I. J. Nicholas (garage rent) £ 50.00

Payments

Approve the payments listed on the payments schedule

THE SCHEDULE

  • Malcolm Heather (Cutting works, including footpaths) £1,441.80
  • South West Water Ltd. (Folly Field water and sewerage 01.08 to 04.09) £1,672.68
  • St. Aubyn No 9 account (sundry rents due) £110.05
  • Mr. Vaughan Glover (playground inspections and reports) £225.00
  • Cornish Heritage Builders (removal of fencing round FF playground) £122.04
  • EDF (Sundry electricity Direct Debits) £164.00
  • BT Group Plc (Telephone bill by Direct Debit) £237.56

It was proposed Cllr Vincent and seconded Cllr Nicholas that the payments be paid, carried unanimously.

271 There being no further business the Mayor closed the meeting at 21.20 hours.

Town Mayor