Present: Cllrs Laity, Mrs. Reynolds, Trudgen, Hosking, Mrs. Edmonds, John Nicholas & Clayton
Apologies: Cllrs Britten, Read, Collins, Vincent and Mrs. Sue Nicholas CC
Minutes of the Meeting held on 9th January 2018
021 The Minutes having been circulated previously it was proposed by Cllr Laity and seconded Cllr Edmonds that the minutes were deemed to be a true and correct record, carried unanimously.
Matters arising from previous Minutes
022 Minute 005. Cllr Reynolds reported that the pointing on the Playing Field wall had now been carried out
023. Minute 016b. Cllr Laity reported that a form of wording had been settled for the gun plinth.
024. Cllr Edmonds updated the Council on the Playground subcommittee meeting on 11th She ran through the HAGS quote of 8th January 2018 and said that the subcommittee recommended that all the items listed be carried out by HAGS, with the exception of the last one (Poly Play unit). It was recommended that HAGS not be instructed until they confirm that they will do the repainting free of charge. The clerk read out Mr. Glover’s quote of 17th January 2018. Cllr Laity then proposed that the Council accept the subcommittee’s recommendations, including the acceptance of Mr. Glover’s quote. This was seconded by Cllr Trudgen and carried unanimously.
025. Cllr Laity updated the Council in relation to the planning application for Akron, and on the fact that he and the Mayor had met with Cllr Nicholas to discuss it on the preceding day.
026. Cllr Laity also reported that the Mayor’s Consort’s chain had only three name plaques left and that more needed to be purchased. It was proposed by Cllr Edmonds that this be done. This was seconded by Cllr John Nicholas and carried unanimously.
027 Applications for planning permission
PA17/12042. Listed Building Consent application for replacing existing slate roof on rear elevation and renewing guttering and down pipes. Stable Yard Cottage, Turnpike Hill. Ms Alexia Bylett. It was proposed by Cllr Clayton, seconded by Cllr Laity, that the application be supported. Carried unanimously
PA17/12190. Certificate of Lawful Development for an existing use for part of dwelling to form additional dwelling. Kantara, Fore Street. Mr. Trevor Smith. The Council decided to make no comment on this application
Any others received by the time of the meeting on 23rd January 2018. None
It was noted that no notification of planning permissions granted had been received
And that no notifications of any planning applications being refused had been received
028 The clerk reported that the following had been received:-
- (a) E-mail dated 11th January 2018 from Anna Broadbent re. BT call-box. Cllr Laity reported that he had checked the BT website and could find nothing more recent than for 2016.
- (b) Letter from Mrs. McKelvie giving up her allotment (8a Island Field). It was agreed that the allotment should be offered to the next Marazion resident on the list.
029a. Civic Service “wash up”. Cllr Trudgen wished to record his thanks for the sterling efforts of Cllr John Nicholas and Messrs Justin Gendall and Geoffrey Pearce. It was agreed that the event had gone very well. The clerk read out a letter of thanks from Cllr Gillian Gear, Mayor of Helston. Cllr Laity suggested that, in future years, it might be worth considering asking a local organisation to provide volunteers for the “catering kitchen” in return for a donation to that organisation. He raised this as it was always difficult to find enough people to staff the kitchen.
029b. The clerk updated the Council on the unsuccessful attempts made by him and Mr. Mathews to download the HMRC free payroll software to replace the free IRIS software on the old computer. The clerk suggested that he might contact the Council’s Internal Auditor (himself now a Parish Council clerk and a former Treasurer of Penwith District Council) and CALC to see if there were any accounts packages designed purely for local councils. Cllr Reynolds also offered a possible solution. Until these matters had been settled, the clerk said he would continue to use the old computer and current software.
Financial and Confidential matters
030 Receive Profit and Loss account, Bank Reconciliation Statement, Prior Year Report and Budget Variance report for December 2017. These having been previously circulated were noted.
031. E-mail from Stephens Scown dated 22nd Before this was discussed Cllrs John Nicholas and Reynolds declared an interest and left the room. It was then proposed by Cllr Trudgen that the Council proceeds with the letter of claim at the cost outlined by Stephens Scown. This was seconded by Cllr Edmonds and carried unanimously
032 Consideration of tenders. It was decided to defer this item until more members of the Council were present
033 Receipts and Payments
- Mr. C. T. Chapman (the late Mrs. Chapman’s memorial) £139.00
- Toilet Box Donations to 12th January 2018 £50.80
- St. Aubyn Estate (Car park & Beach Box rent) £12,175.00
- Mr & Mrs Johnson (hardstanding rent) £150.00
- Mrs. Mock (hardstanding rent) £75.00
- Mr. Reid (hardstanding rent) £75.00
- Ms Sainsbury (hardstanding rent) £75.00
- Mr. Garrett (garage rent) £135.00
- Mr. Nicholas (garage rent) £50.00
Payments. Approve the payments listed on the payments schedule
- Peter Retallick (Citizen of the Year trophy) £61.14
- Vaughan Glover (painting work at the WCs in the Square) £155.00
- Miller Commercial LLP (professional work between 01.03.17 and 15.01.18) £1,890.00
- Breage & District Silver Band (blowing and banging for Civic Service) £140.00
- Cllr Penney Hosking (to reimburse purchases made for Civic Service) £414.24
- Dulux Decorator Centre (paint supplies for painting at Square WCs) £ 43.27
- Richard Tucker (work to Memorial Garden and Folly Field) £315.00
- EDF (sundry electrical Direct Debits) £97.00
- Pennon Water (SWW) (Folly Field toilets, by DD) £236.39
- British Gas (Square WCs by DD) £57.39
- Pennon Water (SWW) (Cemetery Water by DD) £9.09
- South West Water (Maypole Gardens, by DD) £27.21
- Pennon Water (SWW, by DD) £1,070.09
It was proposed Cllr Trudgen and seconded Cllr John Nicholas that the payments be paid, carried unanimously
034 There being no further business the Mayor closed the meeting at 20.26 hours.