Meeting COV01/20, Tuesday April 14th 2020

Present (on-line): Cllrs Laity, Mrs. Reynolds, Mrs. Hosking, Collins, Clayton, Trudgen, Walsh, Read, Vincent & Britten Apologies:   Cllr Nicholas Councillors Reports:  C001. Cllr Laity reported on the following: PA19/08899 – Roundfields, Rosehill – demolish modern extension and garage, erection of two storey side extension with rear access ramp. Apart from imposing a condition on future […]
  • Present (on-line): Cllrs Laity, Mrs. Reynolds, Mrs. Hosking, Collins, Clayton, Trudgen, Walsh, Read, Vincent & Britten
  • Apologies:   Cllr Nicholas

Councillors Reports:

 C001. Cllr Laity reported on the following:

  1. PA19/08899 – Roundfields, Rosehill – demolish modern extension and garage, erection of two storey side extension with rear access ramp. Apart from imposing a condition on future action, which could not be imposed, the other recommendations of the Town Council had been taken on board
  2. Planning Committee closure – Corona virus. Cllr Laity updated the Council.
  • He and Cllrs Reynolds and Collins had discussed the Cemetery and agreed that it should be kept open and cut, so funerals could take place in a well-kept environment.
  • He updated the Council on the situation with regard to the toilets. For various reasons, it was felt that these should be kept closed for the time being.
  • Cllr Laity briefed the Council on the weekly (Monday) meetings held by the steering group co-ordinating the various help-groups and organisations within the Town.
  • With regard to the LMP and SWCP cutting, following the circulation of the letter from Cornwall Council about cutting, it was felt that the paths should be kept maintained as they were in use for exercise purposes. Cllr Collins agreed to speak to Mr. Heather on the subject of care, Social Distancing and the possibility of doing the work either very early, or very late, in the day.

C002. Cllr Reynolds enquired about the keeping of the allotment entry gates shut, to avoid fly-tippers taking advantage of the open gates, especially as the recycling centres were closed. Cllr Laity agreed to post a laminated notice at the entrances.

C003. Cllr Trudgen asked the clerk to report to Mr. Harvey Thomas that he should ensure that a gate at Friendship Woods should be secured

C004. Cllr Reynolds asked that pointing work to the Memorial Garden wall should be brought forward

C005 Clerk’s Report

  • Pursuant to 7.2 (“To allow local authorities to manage their resources, the Regulations allow local authorities to determine not to hold their annual meeting. Where meetings are held, the Regulations provide that local authorities have the flexibility to hold meetings at any time of day and on any day, to alter how frequently meetings can be held and to move or cancel meetings without requiring further notice. This will ensure that local authorities can divert resources to other efforts and have the flexibility to reallocate officers and members”) of the Explanatory Memorandum to the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 (“the Memorandum”) to Determine not to hold an Annual Meeting. The Council agreed that an Annual Meeting should not be held in the current year, but that if circumstances changed and it was felt appropriate, one could be held later in the year
  • PA20/02253. Construction of replacement two storey Mundic extension, extension of domestic curtilage and creation of additional parking for South Cottage, Green Acres. South Cottage, Green Lane. St. Aubyn Estates. Given the number of objections, it was decided to defer consideration of this until a formal, publicly available, on-line, meeting took place on 24th The clerk is to e-mail the objectors accordingly and to ask them to give their e-mail addresses so they can be invited to the Zoom meeting.
  • Payment to Helston Town Band for the Civic Service. It was agreed that the payment should be £150.00

Financial and Confidential matters

C006. To insert in Financial Regulation 6.4 (“Cheques or orders for payment drawn on the bank account in accordance with the schedule as presented to council or committee shall be signed by two members of council and countersigned by the Clerk, in accordance with a resolution instructing that payment. A member who is a bank signatory, having a connection by virtue of family or business relationships with the beneficiary of a payment, should not, under normal circumstances, be a signatory to the payment in question”.) the following words, “(or by three members of the Council during the Covid-19 crisis)”. The words in brackets shall (a) be inserted after the words “signed by two members of Council and countersigned by the Clerk” and (b) automatically cease to have effect once the Covid-19 crisis is passed and normal Council meetings are resumed. This was agreed.

C007. Donation to Marazion Covid Support Group (“MCSG”). The clerk advised that, as MCSG wouldn’t have a bank account, the payment of whatever the Council felt appropriate, should be paid to the Chamber of Commerce, on terms that it was a Grant for the MCSG. The Council felt that this would be cumbersome, and that in the current circumstances, it was quite appropriate to pay the money direct to Mr. Kearon. This is a Section 137 payment and it was decided that £200.00 was an appropriate sum.

C008. Payments

  • Approve the payments listed on the payments schedule

THE SCHEDULE

  • Cornwall Council (Business Rates – Memorial Garden)                   £  54.39
  • Cornwall Council (Business Rates – Cemetery)                                £490.53
  • Cornwall Council (Business Rates – Folly Field)                              £239.52
  • Cornwall Council (Business Rates – Square public toilets)               £835.83
  • One cheque for                                                                                                           £1,620.27
  • Mark Thomas Ayotte (Folly Field WC toilet pan replacement)                                 £   960.00
  • Cornwall ALC Limited (CALC subscription renewal)                                              £   543.63
  • BHIB Ltd (Insurance renewal premium)                                                                   £2,095.18
  • James D. Jacoby (Clerk’s Salary for March)
  • HMRC (PAYE for March) 

It was agreed that all the payments be passed for payment, save for the Business Rates, in view of the uncertainty as to whether they were payable or not. Payment should be deferred until this could be ascertained.

C009 The meeting ended at 20.50 hours.

Town Mayor